C&G NPTC assessment unit 003920 (formerly CS30)
This two-day workshop and field-based course is aimed at anyone required to use a chainsaw professionally or wanting to learn how to operate one safely for domestic use. The course combines workshop-based activities and cross-cutting timber in our log yard or one of our training woodlands.
The course includes basic risk assessments, industry health and safety legislation, including the personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements, chainsaw maintenance (including chain identification and sharpening), on-site safety, pre-start checks, safe starting procedures and cross-cutting. The course will provide the candidate with all the theoretical knowledge and practical skills required to undertake the C&G NPTC Level 2 Unit 003920 chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting assessment.
Upon completion of this course, the candidate will
- have gained a basic understanding of relevant industry health and safety legislation and risk assessment
- understand the PPE required for maintaining and operating a chainsaw
- be able to identify and explain the function of all the safety features fitted to their chainsaw
- be competent at carrying out maintenance of the chainsaw power unit, bar and chain, including sharpening
- understand how to optimise the cutting performance of a chainsaw
- carry out pre-start checks and safe starting procedure of a chainsaw
- be competent at carrying out a range of cross-cutting techniques to deal with a variety of situations.
Chainsaw for ground use (petrol, recommended bar length 15”), fuel/oil, maintenance tools.
Chainsaw trousers Class 1 type A or C, chainsaw boots, helmet with ear and eye protection, thin workshop gloves and a personal first-aid kit. All equipment is available to hire at an additional cost, including PPE: please enquire for details. Some maintenance equipment will be available to purchase during the course, please enquire for details.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Two days training with an assessment on a separate day.
Training cost: £275 per person plus VAT. C&G NPTC assessment cost: £160 per person.
If required, we offer a combined five-day cross-cutting, chainsaw maintenance and small-tree-felling course. Refresher courses are also available either with or without assessment. Please enquire for details.
“Just wanted to say a massive thank you to you and your team. Everyone was so positive and welcoming and that was perfect for Joe. He definitely has learned a lot and came away with a pass, which we are over the moon with. You have three amazing guys, and we will be sure to use your services again as soon as Joe is ready for the next course.” JC, Bude – Level 2 Chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting course, August 2022
“This course with Matt has been excellent. He is a very good instructor who explains things in different ways so every pupil can understand. Thanks so much.” SH, Devon – Level 2 Chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting course, December 2020